Windows are one of the most innovative features of garage doors. Aside from the broad choice of materials and styles available, installing a garage door with windows has aesthetic and functional benefits. By doing so, you can:
- Add natural light to your garage without installing additional bulbs and fixtures.
- Increase the curb appeal of your home, as windows add character to the façade.
- Customize your garage door to make it one-of-a-kind.
- Match the style of your garage door windows to your front entry door windows.
- Adhere to building codes for impact-rated glass in high-wind areas.
Preparing to Add Garage Doors with Windows
The use of mixed materials is the latest design trend. A garage door with glass along with wood, steel, or aluminum can provide a classic or contemporary look. The entire door can be customized to compliment your home’s architectural design. When planning to install garage door windows, here are some important considerations:
- Safety: Garage door windows are structurally safe; they don’t change the stability of the door itself. However, windows are vulnerable to severe weather and impacts by objects, but overall, they are easy to replace.
- Privacy: Clear glass is common for garage doors. And since garage door windows are usually placed near the top of the door, a typical person can’t see inside, although privacy glass options (frosted, tinted, mirrored, etc.) are available.
Selection and Installation
Installing garage door windows is no small task. Retrofitting an existing door with windows is difficult and not the wisest choice. Windows add weight to the door, which affect its stability and balance, not to mention put excess strain on the door springs and garage door opener. When installing a garage door with windows, you want to pay careful attention to:
- Insulation: Insulated glass windows are available. They can maximize energy efficiency and even contribute to the year-round comfort in your garage, especially if you use it as a playroom or workspace.
- Color matching: Replacing single panels on an existing door can leave mismatched parts. Even if the new panel is the same color as the rest, older panels may have faded in sunlight, and the existing finish might not match.
- Design options: Adding garage door windows provides more design flexibility. Not all are square; there are different shapes to choose from, representing styles ranging from classic to modern, to Colonial, Art Deco, or Mid-Century.
Adding garage door windows is effective only if they match the style of your home. The windows should exhibit a similar shape and style to other elements of the architecture. For example, arched windows can complement curved architectural elements and help make your boxy home feel more sophisticated.
The design options for windows is practically unlimited. Depending on the garage door, windows can be custom fit in any section. Some people choose to string them horizontally across the top, but windows can be stacked vertically as well. You can also choose which sections will have windows or put windows in every section of your garage door.
Garage Door Windows with Precision Door Service of Las Vegas
At Precision Door Service, we install custom garage doors of any style, including those with glass. We offer a wide range of design options from setup to panel design, to color choices to numerous options for windows and more. Select your favorite options using our design page, and request a quote for your project. We also perform all types of garage door repair and take calls 24/7. For more information, call 702-553-4621.