Few realize how important garage door openers are. They do a lot of the heavy lifting, in conjunction with the garage door springs, and are a central component with any garage door installation. Just imagine having to physically lift and lower your garage door multiple times a day, year-round? That would give anybody a sore back. Well, that is exactly what people had to do prior to Mr. C. G. Johnson inventing the first garage door opener in 1926. Since then there have been dozens of incarnations and advancements in garage door opener technologies and design.
Electronic garage door openers are a common feature in most households. But even with all of the improvements made to garage door openers throughout the years, that doesn’t mean they don’t wear out over time or fall into disrepair. Think about it, garage door openers bear a significant brunt by constantly lifting and lowering one of the heaviest features in your home. It is inevitable that they will need to be replaced periodically. But how do you know when it’s time to install a new garage door opener? Lucky for you, we’re here to let you know.
Reasons to Install a New Garage Door Opener
Here are some common indicators that your garage door opener may need to be replaced and updated with a newer model.
- If your garage door opener is more than 10 years old, it most likely will need to be replaced.
- Is your garage door jerking and making noise when it comes up or down? While that could be a hardware issue, if the springs or rollers aren’t the culprits, it may be that your garage door opener is on its last legs and needs to be replaced.
- If your garage door opener is really loud and is sluggish to effectively lift and lower your garage door, it may be that the motor in the garage door opener is struggling and needs to be inspected.
- Are you having concerns that your garage door opener could give out and potentially hurt someone?
- Your garage door opener is simply outdated and lacks the modern technology that comes along with newer models of garage door openers.
Different Types of Garage Door Openers
Precision Garage Door Las Vegas only carries industry-leading garage door openers that serve a wide variety of purposes depending on the garage door it is paired with and the garage in which it is installed. Here is a breakdown of different types of garage door openers and how they operate.
- Chain Drive Openers – Chain drive garage door openers are probably the most common and recognizable. This opener uses a chain mechanism that works much like a bike chain would on a bicycle, only there is a motor attached to it. LiftMaster is among the most popular brands and manufacturers to carry a wide range of chain drive garage door openers. One that is especially impressive is the Premium Series DC Battery Backup Capable Chain Drive Series 8360. This chain drive garage door opener is equipped with MyQ enabled technology that allows homeowners to control and monitor their garage door from their smartphones. This particular garage door opener also is battery backup capable so even if there is a power outage, you’ll still be able to operate your garage door.
- Belt Drive Garage Door Openers – This garage door opener functions similarly to the chain drive opener only it uses a belt, not a chain. One of the most powerful and quiet belt drive garage door openers is the Elite Series 3/4 HP Belt Drive Garage Door Opener Series 3585. This garage door opener can lift the heaviest garage doors with ease.
- Screw Drive Garage Door Openers – While these types of garage door openers aren’t as popular as their counterparts due to noise levels and their sensitivity to extreme temperatures, they are still extremely effective and are a good choice for some households. This opener also functions in the same way chain drive and belt garage door openers operate, the only difference being it uses a threaded steel rod to move the trolley and not a belt or chain. One of the best screw drive openers on the market today is manufactured by Genie Garage Door Openers. Their PowerMax 1500 boasts an intelligent design with maximum power and speed for the ultimate in convenience and usability.
One thing to remember about your garage door opener is that no matter what opener you choose, it is essential to properly maintain and calibrate your garage door springs. They assist in most of the heavy lifting. Without the correct spring tension, it doesn’t matter what garage door opener you have, it will burn out the motor faster. Poorly calibrated springs will ultimately lead to a full garage door opener replacement.
Garage Door Openers Should Be Installed by a Professional
Even for experienced do-it-yourselfers, garage door opener installation should be left for the professionals. Installation requires knowledge of electrical wiring and an understanding of how much horsepower is needed to safely and effectively lift the weight of your particular garage door.
Precision Garage Door Las Vegas has experienced technicians that can be at your home in under two hours to install, replace and repair your garage door and all of its components. This includes doing a full garage door tune-up on springs, rollers, and garage door opener motors and parts. Our garage door experts have all of the equipment right in their Precision service truck so there is a quick turnaround time from the moment we arrive. We are here to serve you!
For assistance with a new garage door opener or if you’re looking to replace your old garage door, use our interactive Garage Door Designer or contact us directly at 702-637-2700. Our garage door installation experts can answer your questions or schedule a free in-home estimate.