Garage doors have evolved throughout the centuries, with the earliest garage doors dating back thousands of years. Carriage house garage doors are considered the original garage door, which featured two separate doors that swing outward from the middle. Because the original carriage-style garage doors had difficulty opening due to being blocked by ice and snow, in 1921 the first overhead garage door was invented.
With new garage door innovations in place, the carriage garage doors of today continue to hold on to their old-world charm without the hassles of their dated design. Let’s take a moment to pay homage to carriage doors and help you figure out if this style of garage door can complement your home in both form and function.
What is a Carriage House Garage Door?
Carriage house garage doors are exactly as the name sounds. Even before the creation of the automobile, carriage house doors were originally created to safely house a horse and buggy on large estates. Much like a barn or guest cottage, these small houses featured wide, large swinging wooden doors for carriages to easily enter and were mostly for the elite.
Thankfully, the days of horse and carriage transportation are well behind us. But the style, look, and feel of carriage garage doors has been re-imagined to outfit the newer homes of today.
Different Carriage Garage Door Materials
The garage doors of today come in a wide range of materials, configurations, and finishes. The same goes for the modern version of carriage-style garage doors. You’ll want to consider what material will best compliment the look and style of your property. Cloplay, one of the leading garage door manufacturers, make carriage house garage doors to suit a variety of tastes.
- Wood Carriage Garage Doors – Authentic handcrafted wood carriage house garage doors are insulated to provide beauty, energy efficiency, and strength. Custom designs and a variety of wood choices are available.
- Steel Carriage Garage Doors – Authentic carriage house style garage doors constructed with durable insulated steel and composite overlays provide a popular style at a great value.
- Faux Wood – Faux wood carriage house garage doors combine the beauty and texture of natural wood with the energy efficiency of an insulated steel door.
What Style of Home Looks Best With a Carriage Style Garage Door?
Top garage door manufacturers have spent countless hours of time and energy in crafting carriage garage doors to suit a variety of exteriors and design aesthetics. Is the design of your home an ideal match for a new carriage garage door installation?
- Tudor – Outfit your Tudor style home with a carriage style garage door to accentuate the pitched roofs and uniquely shaped windows. You can even work with your garage door company to get a custom design so that it fits in effortlessly with the rest of the exterior.
- Craftsman & Bungalows – Installing a typical garage door on the timeless and hip architectural features of a Craftsman or Bungalow would completely take away from the overall look and style of the exterior. Opting to install a carriage house style garage door would add curb appeal and increase the value of your home.
- Spanish Colonial & Mediterranean Homes – The heavy irons and woods that detail Spanish Colonial and Mediterranean homes are an ideal accompaniment to a carriage style garage door.
- Victorian – Victorian homes are arguably the perfect fit for a carriage house garage door. These homes were built when horse and buggies were still being used. The detailed woodwork and design will create the perfect frame for this style of garage door.
Carriage House Garage Doors Should Be Installed by a Professional
Precision Garage Door Las Vegas is taking steps to follow CDC guidelines to the exact letter in regards to COVID-19. We are enacting added safety precautions to ensure our customers and their home environments are left undisturbed. This includes outfitting our garage door technicians in safety masks, gloves, and sterilization products. If you need garage door replacement or installation, you can rest easy knowing that Precision Door Las Vegas can get the job done efficiently, professionally, and safely.
Precision Garage Door Las Vegas has experienced technicians that can be at your home in under two hours to install, replace and repair your garage door and all of its components. This includes doing a full garage door tune-up on springs, rollers, and garage door opener motors and parts. Our garage door experts have all of the equipment right in their Precision service truck so there is a quick turnaround time from the moment we arrive. We are here to serve you!
For assistance installing a new carriage house garage door or if you’re looking to replace your old garage door, use our interactive Garage Door Designer or contact us directly at 702.637.2700. Our garage door installation experts can answer your questions or schedule a free in-home estimate.